Raiding--General Information.

Go down

Raiding--General Information.

Post  Telon Ra on Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:37 pm

So. You've acquired some Tier 1 equipment, and you're ready to say goodbye to hard Alerts for now and say hello to Raids. At the time of this posting, the available raids are:

Kahndaq.
The Bat-cave--Outer, and Inner Sanctum.
These three raids are listed as Normal difficulty. Later on, we should expect to see Medium difficulty raiding content as well.

There are things that should be known before you step foot into a raid.

1) Raids are not facerolls like Hard Alerts. When they say Triumph gear is needed to not suck with it, they mean it, especially if you are tanking. Granted, tanks should want to have the best they can for survivability anyway. This directly leads us to--

2) Know your role. This is even more important in raids. You cannot run into mobs in a Raid with your "iarele3tdps" mindset and expect to be alright all the time. You WILL faceplant. You WILL eat dirt. Healers and Controllers, I suggest not using Dual Pistols, as your Full Auto can easily aggro entire groups that the tank is not prepared to grab yet. Picking things up on the fly is what we tanks do, yet we cannot guarantee you'll get through it unscathed in the process-- better safe than dead. There was a common saying in WoW, which I will change to fit DCUO's player limits-- "It may be your $15 a month to play how you like, but your raid's $105 a month says to know what you're doing." Raiding, granted, is a new thing to many of us--either on this game or in general-- and it will take time to get used to how things function. It WILL get easier as you're more used to it.

3) In this game of being able to dodge and block at will, if you see something coming for you, you should probably move. Especially when there is a gap of time between seeing that Skull symbol and when the attack comes, if you're not a bulky Ice tank like yours truly here, you should avoid it. No one can cause damage, heals, or regen when they're dead.

I do not know the loot rules we follow in raiding here yet, so I will post our old ones for when the Suicide Kings system was not used. What we did is we used a Need roll for something that was an upgrade to the role we came into the raid as, and a Greed roll allowed if no one needed the item for their main spec and wanted to roll for whatever they are when NOT tanking//healing//murdering. I do not know how Style would come into this, though I would call that a Greed roll personally. Generally Need rolls were once per person until everyone in that Role spec had a Need roll granted, unless something dropped that was not an upgrade to the other person, or they already had the loot item in question. If there is already a good Loot system in place, please ignore this paragraph as rambling.

That's all I have for now. More as I recall things I meant to put or have brought to my attention.

"The Drill Sergeant" Twisted Evil

Telon Ra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Raiding--General Information.

Post  Guest on Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:56 am

You make a good point about avoiding damage. I have noticed in a few instances that the same people get KOd a lot. You can not stand in front of bosses and just take damage unless you are a tank, and even if you are a tank and you see special attack coming move. As a healer in any game dps health is way down on the list of priorty. It is the DPSs job to be a survivor. Play smart.

Back to top Go down

Post  Telon Ra on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:46 pm

Thank you, Ayra. A lot of the problem with what you say, and I agree with you, stems from two things--

Number one, it's better off if EVERYONE except the tank is ranged. You don't have to, but it helps.
Number two, if you're a DPS and you're wondering why bosses keep turning to smack on you, it's because you're spamming your powers like they're going out of style. It is impossible with how threat is currently handled in this game for my taunts to consistently work if DPS are so bent on just hitting their keys and nevermind the taunt windows of opportunity, that it is risking their deaths. I don't care about how much damage you do so long as I don't beat you outright-- I care about the number of deaths.

Telon Ra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EbonyRaven on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:25 pm

That's a great point Telon. I've seen alot of power whore dps that are just spamming the powers so they can get the biggest damage numbers. Not realizing that puts a strain on the rest of the party. Controllers trying to keep everyone in power, Tanks trying to keep aggro and Healers trying to keep their low defense butts alive!

Healthcare left the league because Dusty let someone die that was causing too much work for her to keep alive, but I'll tell you this I'd do the same. Just like Ayra, dps has to stay alive with little help from the healer.
EbonyRaven
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Telon Ra on Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:35 am

Yes, well, Healthcarebear needs to learn how to play before he comments on things. Let me expand a bit on the whole DPS-spamming-powers thing.

The idea behind the mechanic is, using a power increases your damage output by X percent *UNTIL YOUR COMBO STRING ENDS*, listed as lasting at LEAST 5 seconds I believe. What this means is that you are meant to use a power for some damage, then take advantage of that boost to push out some nice weapon combo DPS. So long as your combo number doesn't break, the power boost as listed is STILL in effect. If you're just spamming powers, not only are you building more threat but it completely ruins the damage boosts given to you. Play smart. Use a power, get some great combos going to not only do more damage faster but keep your own power Regen'd, and you'll not only stay alive but actually have better numbers on the scoreboard to show for it.

Telon Ra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down