General Knowledge--Roles and Stats.

Go down

General Knowledge--Roles and Stats.

Post  Telon Ra on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:01 pm

Hello, everyone. It has come to my attention that we have several folks not only new to DCUO, but new to MMOs as a whole. Not quite understanding the Controller role? Don't understand why you shouldn't attack a mob as a DPS in a hard alert, when you did it soloing? Here I am to help you better understand things.

Since the days of Everquest if I recall rightly (Ultima Online didn't bother with this shit) there have been--Tanks, Healers, and Damagers, or DPS. DCUO also has Controllers, crowd control.

Tanks are people meant to have either absurdly high Defense, Health, or both, and are the ones meant to start fights and maintain a mob's hatred, or aggro.

Healers are, well, the ones that heal the Tank. And anyone else affected either by splash damage or stupidity.

Damagers are the cannons. They are the ones whose only real, essential job is to murder anything that moves. Damagers can also assist with crowd control (if they don't suck) and have the ability to do so.

Controllers are something different. They are to a power bar what Healers are to a Health bar. They are the ones that keep tanks using their taunt abilities, healers using their heals, and cannons firing away at ye scurvy mobs, arrr. They are also capable of keeping mobs under control, buffing groups, or debuffing mobs. VERY versatile class choice if done properly.

I'll go ahead and hit this area, too-- stats.

Tanks, if Ice, want Defense, then Health, then Dominance and Might. Tanks, if Fire, want Health, then Defense, still Dominance but not as much as Ice since Fire doesnt get the awesome ability to turn things into popsicles, and Might, with some of that Dominance runoff being exchanged for Restoration. Yes, Resto helps a Fire's heals as well.

Healers want Restoration. It is to them what Defense is to my Ice Tank. If you dont have it, your heals suck.

Damagers want Precision (if I recall properly) and Might. Precisiona dds weapon DPS and Might increases damage from Power usage.

Controllers want Dominance and Vitalization. Vitalization affects directly how much power restoration you cause, so if you can grab it, DO IT.

And that's all I've got for now. Take care and happy gaming.

Telon.

Telon Ra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General Knowledge--Roles and Stats.

Post  KnightRaven on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:48 am

i agree with all that is said but i for controllers its vitalization then Dominance
both are important but Vit is to Controllers and power what resto is to healers and health

Domminance makes your stuns root encase and such effects harder to resist and last longer it also helps you resist the ones used against you

KnightRaven
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Telon Ra on Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Yes. I did not put Dominance ahead of Vitalization.

Telon Ra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:26 am

This game useless about this than any other I played. People separating and not stay together. Instances would be much easier if people stay organized. It's one of my pet peeves also.

Back to top Go down

Post  EbonyRaven on Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:40 pm

I agree, scattering groups is frustrating. As a healer Im going to follow the 2 people that need my heals more than the one that doesn't. Especially when that person doesn't seem to have an organized plan of attack on an alert thats so easy we can do with our eyes closed.

And yes a post was removed. It was abrasive and War asked me to remove it. The forum is to share information and a way to be social, not a way to roundabout berrate people for the way an alert was handled.
EbonyRaven
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Telon Ra on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:37 pm

I will admit between 51 and the watchtower that I got pretty mad. I forget that not everyone has had the experience in these things I have had. I want everyone to know well-- content is not going to STAY this face-rolling easy. If we do not learn a few good habits now, we will be doing it in the middle of decently-challenging content with a huge repair bill to show for it. Don't ignore people when they're trying to ultimately make you not even HAVE to take damage in alerts. Trust me to be the shield the way my Stance says so. I can't protect people if they won't let me.

Telon Ra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Telon Ra on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Update: Relating to stats.

This falls under weapons. I usually use a Staff, as I like it's combos, it looks freaking cool, and it has stuns. I did, however, experiment with a hand blaster character earlier on in the evening with a fellow I have helped troll a few main game forum threads into oblivion with. And I must say....Hand Blasters are rather nice. They do not have the stuns that my staff does, but Jesus, the damage is nice, and the ranged capability clearly exceeds that of the Staff. More on this at a later date.

Telon Ra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down